The historical remote Mustang trek unseals the once forbidden kingdom of Mustang, tucked away from the rest of the world, and lies just north of the main Himalayan range of Nepal. Mustang, a land where the soul of the man is still considered to be as real as the feet he walks on: a land said to be "barren as a dead deer" but where beauty and happiness abound despite hardship, was a part of the Tibetan Kingdom of Gungthang until the 1830s. The walled city of Lo Manthang, the unofficial capital of Mustang remains a kingdom within a kingdom. The early history of Lo Manthang is embellished in myth and legend rather than recorded fact. Mustang maintained its status as a separate principality until 1951. The king of Lo Manthang still retains his title and he has been given the honorary rank of Colonel in the Nepal army.
Trekking in Mustang was officially opened in 1992. It allows limited numbers of trekkers each year to protect and conserve the local Tibetan tradition and the fragile environment. A trek into this fabled forbidden kingdom of vast, arid valleys, eroded canyons, ocher valley, yak caravans, and colorful painted mud-brick houses on the back dropped of majestic mountains of Nilgiri, Tukche, Annapurna and Dhaulagiri make your medieval walled kingdom Mustang trekking a very special one.
Over the festive time, monks dressed in elaborate costumes and masks perform dances and rituals that are supposed to drive away evil spirits. Dressed in their finery, people from all over Mustang gather in Lo Manthang to celebrate the Tiji festival.
Arrival in Kathmandu (1400m) & Transfer to the HotelBreakfastHotel
Preparation Day & Sightseeing around KathmanduB/DHotel
Fly/Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (823m): Fly 30minutes/Drive 5-6 hoursB/L/DHotel
Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom (2760m) & Trek to Kagbeni (2810m)B/L/DLodge
Trek from Kagbeni to Chuksacng (2920m)B/L/DLodge
Trek from Chuksang to Samar (3290m)B/L/DLodge
Trek from Samar to Gelling (3440m) via Chungsi GompaB/L/DLodge
Trek from Gelling to Tsarang (3490m)B/L/DLodge
Trek from Tsarang to Lo Manthang (3840m) via Lo Gekar (3825m)B/L/DLodge
Explore Lo Manthang: visit Chhosar, Chonup, Namgyal, etc.B/L/DLodge
Trek from Lo Manthang to Dakmar (3820m) via Ghar gompaB/L/DLodge
Trek from Dakmar to SyangbochenB/L/DLodge
Trek from Syangbochen to ChuksangB/L/DLodge
Trek from Chuksang to Muktinath (3800m)B/L/DLodge
Trek from Muktinath to Jomsom (via Kagbeni)B/L/DLodge
Fly/Drive from Jomsom to PokharaB/LHotel
Fly/ Drive from Pokhara to KathmanduBreakfastHotel
Rest Day in KathmanduBreakfastHotel
Transfer to International Airport for final departureBreakfast
- AIRPORT PICK-UP & DROP : Airport - Hotel transfer – Airport (Pick Up and Drop).
- ACCOMMODATION IN KATHMANDU : 4 nights sharing twin bedroom at hotel in Kathmandu on bed & breakfast basis.
- WELCOME DINNER : One Welcome Dinner in a tourist standard restaurant in Kathmandu with Office’s Staff.
- ACCOMMODATION IN POKHARA : 2 nights sharing twin bedroom at hotel in Pokhara on bed & breakfast basis.
- PERMITS : All necessary paper works: Upper Mustang special trekking permit fee, Annapurna Conservation Area permit Fee, TIMS permit fee.
- STAFF INSURANCE : Insurance for all involved Nepalese staff during the trek.
- MEMBER TRANSPORTATION : Air Transportation: (Domestic Flight) (Pokhara - Jomsom - Pokhara) inclusive with airport tax. as per itinerary. Land Transportation: Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara and while returning Pokhara to Kathmandu (by tourist vehicles).
- MEMBER LUGGAGE : Up to 15 Kg of personal baggage per member during the trek carrying by porters.
- FOODS & LODGING : Food 3 meals a day (BDL; including tea and coffee) along with accessible accommodation at Hotel/Lodge during the trek.
- DRINKS : 2 liters of boiled water to carry on thermos per day per member.
- GUIDE : Local government-licensed Guide (English speaking) during the trek and sightseeing in Kathmandu valley.
- PORTER : Porters (2 trekkers: 1 porter) during the trek.
- STAFF SALARY & ALLOWANCE : All Nepalese staff & porters' daily wages, salary, equipment, food & clothing.
- VALLEY SIGHTSEEING : Sightseeing in Kathmandu Valley [Pashupatinath Temple, Swoyambu (Monkey temple), and Kathmandu Durbar Square] by a professional guide.
- MEDICAL KIT : Comprehensive Medical kit.
- INTERNATIONAL AIRFARE : International flight airfare (from and to Kathmandu).
- NEPAL VISA FEES : Nepali Visa fee US$ 40 per person for 30 days (to be applied for 60 days (USD$ 100).
- LUNCH & DINNER : Lunch & dinner during the stay in Kathmandu & Pokhara city (also in case of early return from Trekking than the scheduled itinerary).
- EXTRA NIGHTS IN KATHMANDU & POKHARA : Extra nights' accommodation in Kathmandu & Pokhara. In case of early arrival or late departure, early return from Trekking (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary.
- SIGHTSEEING IN POKHARA : Sightseeing in Pokhara City is not included, on your own, you can visit around Lakeside.
- INSURANCE : Travel and high altitude insurance, accident, medical & emergency evacuation.
- RESCUE EVACUATION : Medical Insurance and emergency rescue evacuation cost if required. (Rescue, Repatriation, Medication, Medical Tests, and Hospitalization costs.)
- PERSONAL EXPENSES : Telephone, Internet, battery recharge, shower, Laundry, any Alcoholic beverages, Boiled water, beer, coke, and also Clothing, Packing Items or Bags, Personal Medical Kit, Personal Trekking Gears & Equipment.
- INTERNET SERVICE : Internet facility during the trek is not included.
- EXTRA PORTER : $15 USD for an extra porter per day (If an extra porter is demanded).
- TIPS : Tips for Guide, porters, and staff.
- EXTRA : Any other services or activities, which are not mentioned in the itinerary. Any other item not listed in the “Cost Includes” section.